French dogs only respond to French
I still cannot believe I am living in France. I've been here almost three days and I am just in awe of everything around me. The first night we arrived in Aix, all of us were extremely exhausted from the extensive travel time, and lack of sleep. So, we all went to bed as soon as we were done with the breif night tour of Aix. A wonderful surprise arrived our first night here, a huge thunderstorm. It was beautiful. I woke up around 2 a.m. and opened up my window and just watched the rain pour down and listened to the thunder. I haven't seen a storm like that one since I was ten, it was exciting. Very, very cool.
Fortunately there are quite a few other CSU students on the program, so it has made the adjustment a little easier to take. I've made friends with most of the older students here. As usual, I flock to the older crowd. However, there are quite a few young people on this trip, which means a lack of cultural maturity, if ya know what I mean. I assumed I would have a bit more French knowledge than the other students because of their ages, but I didn't expect to be one of the most advanced. I've actually had to help some of the other students with ordering food, and asking questions. It feels good to finally be using my knowledge of French. So, I'm stumbling through a bit...but I'm doing all right. I'm just happy to be here.
Now, for some amusing things about France... Mullets are very popular here. I must say though, they are much more spikey and chic than your average, run-of-the-mill Alabama mullet. Also, the French are opposed to toilet seats, which gives a whole new meaning to the falling-in phenomenon. And, thanks to my wonderful ability to attract wierdos, I was asked out on a date the second day I was here. I must say the French are very persistent. After a five minute argument over whether I would be available or not on Saturday, I finally convinced him I would, in fact, not be available for him, but I would see him around. The next day I saw him hitting on another girl, and heard yet another girl saying she slept in his room. So, yeah, not really regretting my refusal... The next day I was in the park, chatting with my new buddy April, when a French guy walked by and said "I love you." At first I was like, aw how sweet, but then I realized I was slightly flashing him with my oh-so-American preppy tank top. Good times, I tell ya, good times.
Fortunately there are quite a few other CSU students on the program, so it has made the adjustment a little easier to take. I've made friends with most of the older students here. As usual, I flock to the older crowd. However, there are quite a few young people on this trip, which means a lack of cultural maturity, if ya know what I mean. I assumed I would have a bit more French knowledge than the other students because of their ages, but I didn't expect to be one of the most advanced. I've actually had to help some of the other students with ordering food, and asking questions. It feels good to finally be using my knowledge of French. So, I'm stumbling through a bit...but I'm doing all right. I'm just happy to be here.
Now, for some amusing things about France... Mullets are very popular here. I must say though, they are much more spikey and chic than your average, run-of-the-mill Alabama mullet. Also, the French are opposed to toilet seats, which gives a whole new meaning to the falling-in phenomenon. And, thanks to my wonderful ability to attract wierdos, I was asked out on a date the second day I was here. I must say the French are very persistent. After a five minute argument over whether I would be available or not on Saturday, I finally convinced him I would, in fact, not be available for him, but I would see him around. The next day I saw him hitting on another girl, and heard yet another girl saying she slept in his room. So, yeah, not really regretting my refusal... The next day I was in the park, chatting with my new buddy April, when a French guy walked by and said "I love you." At first I was like, aw how sweet, but then I realized I was slightly flashing him with my oh-so-American preppy tank top. Good times, I tell ya, good times.

<< Home